Adsense for search

Custom Search

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Local Day Trip Idea: West Seattle


Alki Beach
I broke out of jail recently. I escaped from the invisible handcuffs that bind me to my laptop, the ones that hold me prisoner in the small, cramped,writing/sewing/piled-with-books room I call my "office" where I work on articles and other wordsmithing jobs day after day. I broke free and headed north from Tacoma to spend an afternoon in West Seattle.

Over a century ago, my great-great-grandfather owned a large piece of land there, stretching west from California Avenue clear down to the beach. Too bad he lost it during the nation's financial panic in the 1890s. But it's still fun to go to West Seattle and imagine how it looked back then.

Surrounded by water on three sides, with views of the city skyline, two mountan ranges, and islands, it makes the perfect day trip. California Avenue runs right up the middle, connecting one fun, funky, and fabulous business district with another. Since I needed to do some research for a magazine article about the Elliot Bay Brewing Company anyway, my bossy, demanding work ethic felt satisfied too. (So when you see the picture of a glass of beer, remember, it was all to do with research.)

I hope you enjoy this little photo tour of one of the Puget Sound area's sweetest spots. A few of these shots were taken before the leaves had all come out on the trees, but I added them anyway.


Alki Beach



Monument to Early Settlers at Alki Beach


An old tree in Lincoln Park

Bakery Nouveau's colorful delights

Pastries at Bakery Nouveau

Lunch choices at Elliot Bay Brewery and Pub. GREAT food.

Research for a magazine article

The perfect pour at Elliot Bay Brew Pub

Lincoln Park

Sidewalk art along California Ave.


The place for cupcakes in "the Junction"

A house on Beach Drive


Tide is out
Admiral Theater






Old apartment building
Looking west toward the Olympics

No comments: