Adsense for search

Custom Search

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Another Dispatch From the Garden -- More Fall Photos


The title of an old song from 1934, "What a Difference a Day Made," says it all when it comes to my Tacoma garden this time of year. Remember the photo of those gorgeous red leaves shown at the top of my previous blog post? Well here they are today. By the way, the common name of this plant is "Star Magnolia," covered with shaggy white blooms in the spring and red leaves in the fall. The dramatic difference between these photos reminds us that we should enjoy all our autumn leaves while we can. They will soon be on the ground.

The good news from the garden is that the possible early frost or hard rain I feared would destroy my blooms never arrived, which means I have more photos to share. I had forgotten to show you those dainty darlings, the hardy cyclamens, now floating like tiny lavender ballerinas above their variegated leaves. Here is some information about them from Ed Hume, the Northwest's most beloved garden expert.

The roses continue to open, as do the mums. It isn't over yet. In fact, even as I write this I see the sky clearing off and the autumn sun brightening every color in my landscape. Who knows what the next few days will bring? Not even the weather forecasts can be sure. But you can be sure of one thing; this day is a day in your life. Are you living it to the fullest and noticing the beauty of your surroundings? I hope so.














No comments: