Adsense for search

Custom Search

Monday, January 16, 2012

Snowy Day Diversion: Amazing High Definition Videos of Hummingbirds


Here in my little home office in Tacoma, Washington, I'm trying to get some writing done, but the view out the window makes me feel as excited as a six-year-old. SNOW! One moment it's falling straight and the next it's like a blizzard, blowing horizontally. And it couldn't contrast more with what I'm about to share with you.

I am reminded of the day in January 2009, now three years ago, when I wrote a blog post called Hummingbirds at Home Through a Northwest Winter. I won't repeat it here, but I do have a delightful surprise to offer on this most wintry day.

 I just discovered a whole channel of high definition videos of hummingbirds. You can reach it through this link. (If the screen appears black, just scroll down.)

Close your eyes for a moment as you click on this example. If you, too, are living where it is snowing today, you are about to experience summer again.


Ruby-throated Hummingbird Eating From My Hand (Part One) from Russ Thompson on Vimeo.

And here is another video about Rufus hummingbirds from the Northwest ending up in Ohio during the winter. If your feeders are still out, like mine, please remember to keep them thawed. You can read some great suggestions in the comments on my original blog post, here. Many thanks to all the readers who shared their ideas on feeding hummingbirds during these cold months.

Keep cozy, and thanks for visiting Good Life Northwest.


Winter Hummingbird from Wildlife Matters on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing videos -- the humane approach to the natural world -- feeding gently and unobtrusively rather than capturing, imprisoning, even killing. Wow! And it's not even snowing here.